Monday 10 October 2011

Dirty Projectors & Björk - Mount Wittenburg Orca

Dirty Projectors & Björk - Mount Wittenburg Orca (Domino)
This week I am reviewing a CD by The Dirty Projectors & Björk that I was sent by Bart from Domino Recordings who sent me 24 CDs to listen to; I was very pleased to have been sent all these CDs. The Dirty Projectors are a band from Brooklyn, New York City led by Dave Longstreth and Björk is a very good singer from Iceland who I like very much and this CD is a CD that they made together. 
           The first track on the CD is called Ocean and starts off with Björk howling a bit like a wolf in the middle of the night and then she starts singing sounds that sound a bit like like child softly crying. This is a very short song which leads into the next song On and Ever Onwards which has Bjork in the background singing "Ah, Ah, Ih, Ih" and singing on top about love being all around. It is a very happy song that i think would be good to play when you were a bit sad to cheer yourself up.
           The next song is called When the World Comes to an End and only has Björk in the background and instead has the man singing on it about the world ending and how he will love his girlfriend forever - he is a very good singer but not as good as Björk is. I don't reckon the world will come to an end and don't really worry about it too much but I do think it would be terrible if it did and I think we should do all we can to make sure it doesn't happen. 
            After When the World Comes to an End is a song called Beautiful Mother and is another happy sounding song with clapping in it and lots of strange voices on top of each other but very not many other instruments, this happens a lot on the songs on this record and sounds very nice, like a strange choir. A lot of the records I have reviewed lately have had lots of shouting in them so it makes a nice change to listen to listen to a record like this. The next song is a slow, relaxing song called Sharing Orb and this leads into another song No Embrace which mainly is sung by Dave Longstruth, this seems to be a sadder song than the rest of the record. I think it's alright to sing sad songs about sad things and as long as those things don't happen to you you don't need to be sad yourself. When i'm sad I listen to music and that makes me happier again - when my mother passed away in 2000 I was very sad and cried a lot but most of the time I'm quite happy because I don't really have any worries, I suppose I'm quite lucky really.
             The last song on this CD is called All We Are and is another sad sounding song and I think it is very interesting that this record started off very happy and ends up being quite sad but it's all still very nice to listen to and I would like to listen to more of Björk's music and also more Dirty Projectors. I would give this record 10 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment