Thursday 14 March 2013

Hey Colossus - Cuckoo Live Life Like Cuckoo.

Hey Colossus - Cuckoo Live Life Like Cuckoo (MIE)
And now I am reviewing a new Record from Hey Colossus called Cuckoo Live Life Like Cuckoo - I got this music to listen to from Lauren who is the person in charge of giving people their music to review and I would like to thank her very much for sending it to me because I like Hey Colossus a lot. I have heard of Hey Colossus before because I reviewed them right back when I started reviewing records - I remember it very well because I got sent a T-Shirt of theirs from the record company that put out that record for doing such a good review, I like the T-Shirt a lot and am looking forward to when it's hot in the summer time so I can wear it again.
         For those of you who don't know Hey Colossus they are a rock band from Somerset and London and they are a big noisy group because there are eight of them all making a racket on loads of different instruments and you can hear this on this record.
                The first song on the album then is called Hot Grave and it starts off with big guitar strums a bit like the beginning of Pinball Wizard by The Who but that's only at the first beginning because after that it doesn't really sound like The Who anymore because it's much noisier than The Who were. When it starts off properly there are lots of guitars and drums and other noises that I can't quite make out but sound a bit like synthesisers, it is all very noisy but still quite groovy. Over the top of all the noise there is a man singing in a deep voice that sounds a bit like growling but I couldn't really make out what was being sung about but I don't think that matters, you can hear this song here to see if you can make out what the words are if you want:

If you listened to this you will hear that it is a very good song, I think it is a very good way to start the album because it's very rocking and puts you in the mood to hear more.
           After Hot Grave is Octave Dokkter and this one is a bit slower than the last one but it's still quite good, the singing on this one sounds a bit like somebody who is very angry having a row with somebody. Again though it is hard to make out the words so I made up a story about a man who doesn't want a baby being told that he is going to have a baby by his girlfriend and he is shouting at her to go to the doctor but I don't think that's what the song is about really I just think that is something people would argue about - I don't even know much about arguing though because I've never argued in my life with anyone, not even my mother and father or brother and sister. I liked this song a lot and thought it was quite relaxing even though it is noisy and has lots of shouting in it because of how slowly it goes.
          The next song is called How to tell the time with Jesus which is a bit of a funny name innit? I don't know why they've called it that but I suppose it's as good a name as any for a song. This one starts of by going duh duh, duh duh over and over and sounds like a didgeridoo and then the guitars start and it gets louder and louder and then the singing starts and it's softer singing than on the other songs but I still can't make out what the words are and then another voice starts shouting over the soft voice and then then there's another voice and a noise which sounds like farting which I thought was very funny. After the farting it all sort of stays the same for a while before really getting loud and wild - one of my favourite bits was someone screaming Aaaaaarrrrgghhhh!! as if they were getting killed or maybe as if they had jumped off a high building - I liked this song a lot, it made me laugh and there was lots of good things to listen to in it.
          After How to tell the time with Jesus is a song called Leather Lake and this is another one with lots of guitars and shouting in it. I liked this one a lot because it has a noise in it that sounds like a hearing aid makes when it's broken, I have hearing aids but I don't wear them very much because they keep falling out my ears and I don't think I really need them that much because I can hear fine without them.
         Next up is English Flesh and I think this might be about if you were dead and they sent you abroad and fed you to the vultures. This song starts off all fast, loud and rocky and made me think of a lot of people running in a street riot because there is lots of angry shouting in it but then it slows downs and gets softer and a bit weird, I liked this one a lot.
          The last song is one that starts off all slow and soft with nice guitar and some whooshing space noises and then it goes really quiet and the singing starts and was a bit different than the rest of the record because I could make out what the words were. It stays all quiet then for quite a bit and then the voices come in again but they are more shouty so I couldn't make out the words again and then it all starts to get louder but not as loud as all the rest of the record because this is quite a soft song and I thought this was a good way to end the record after all the noisier songs.
           Overall I would say I enjoyed this record very much and I was glad to listen to more Hey Colossus because I think they are a very good band and I hope they keep making records for a long time and get very famous because I think a lot of people would enjoy them. I would give this record 10 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment