Monday 3 June 2013

Nochexxx - Greatest Record.

Nochexxx - Greatest Record (NCHX).
This time I record reviewing a record because instead I am doing a cassette tape by Nochexxx called Greatest Record. I thought it was interesting to be reviewing another tape because I didn't think anyone made them anymore. It's a lovely looking tape as well because it is all gold and comes with a card thing that tells you what the tape is called.
             I have heard of Nochexxx before because I reviewed his stuff ages back when I first started doing record reviews and I liked his stuff very much. This time to make the review more interesting time we asked him if he would answer some questions and he said yes which I was very pleased about. Here are the questions that we asked and what he said:

I didn't know till recent that people still did tapes, why did you do your music on a tape and not a record or a CD? 
Yeah, there's a thriving underground scene still releasing tape. It's cheap and manufacturing small numbers isn't an issue. Seeing as this release was a nod to the old-school mixtape daze, I felt cassette would be the most appropriate format. 

Do you think tapes are better? Vinyl is king, but i can't always afford it. I love tapes tho - the ferric really does become the music! This will sound snobbish, but i don't like releasing digitally as I feel the listener misses out on the post production artifacts derived from different formats. I'm always thinking about how my music will interact with different formats, it's very much part of the art.  

I thought the tape was very interesting and had lots of different types of  sounds in it that reminded me of lots of things. Do you like a lot of  different music like I do and if so what types do you like? Yes of course; any chef worth his salt loves all ingredients, it's just a case of finding music that has been cooked correctly. I love all genres, but I'm by no means an expert!     

       I think these answers are very interesting and I'd like to thank Nochexxx for answering my questions. One thing I thought was interesting is where he says about mixtapes, mixtapes are when you mix music together like a DJ in a discotheque with no bits between the songs so it just sounds like one long song. This is what this tape is like so instead of reviewing each song I am just going to review the whole thing together all at once.
       It all begins with drums and what sounds a bit like an electric guitar but I'm not sure if it is guitar because I think Nochexxx is more of an electronic musician but I suppose it might be because there's lots of different sounds in this music so it could be. This drumming carries on and like I say there are lots of sounds and things happening like; a man with a voice like Barry White talking, a bird whistling, a saxophone, people clapping, an opera singer, a television going on and all sorts of stuff and it all goes together to make some very funky music indeed which I think is probably disco music. I liked how the tape has started off very much, it is very interesting indeed.
       One bit I thought was most interesting is where a voice says "His name is Head, Dick Head." I think it would be funny if there was a person really called Dick Head and I think if some one was called Dick Head they would probably change their name but I wouldn't because I would think it was funny. After this talking the music carries on being funky disco music and then the music sort of dies out and then there is an answer machine and somebody talking about someone called Dave and then a bit of piano and the music starts up again and seems to change a lot so is very interesting because there is lots to listen to - I especially liked the drums because they made me think of insects.
          The music goes on for a bit and then there is a girl singing "the other night" over and over on top of more disco music and then there is a saying Disco over and over so I was right and this is disco music cos otherwise the guy wouldn't be saying it. After a bit of that and more music there is a little bit of a Rick Astley tune from 1987 called Never Gonna Give You Up and then that changes to some guy talking about shit and Ray Charles and then some other talking which sounds like talking at a party and then there is more disco music and then someone talking about a planet called Orion and this made me think that maybe this was supposed to be space music for a space disco which I think would be an alright thing cos it would be fun I reckon to have a space disco. After a bit more music there is another voice which is a bit weird and again made me think of space cos it sounded a bit like a robot or something talking and then the music starts and it sounds very good because it sounds like strange trumpets and I liked this a lot. The music kind of slows down a bit here and then gets faster again and very funky indeed before it finishes and then that's the end but you can turn the tape over and it's the same thing again on the other side.
        Overall I think that this is a very good tape with very good music on it from Nochexxx which I enjoyed very much indeed and I think people should buy it and play it at their parties and they could get people to dress up as space people and come round and listen to it, I think that would be a lot of fun and I'd like to go to a space party like that. I would give this tape 10 out of 10.   

1 comment:

  1. *sustained applause* bravo bravo bravo xxx

    ReplyDelete